2. Cut alcohol. Sorry! It does help people slip into sleep if you drink enough, but many, many studies have shown that alcohol leads to more restless and broken sleep.
3. Eat carbohydrates for your evening meal, and have a small carbohydrate snack with you herbal tea, before retiring. Carbohydrates produce the sleepytime chemicals we need to fall asleep - protein keeps us awake.
4. Make a list - if your mind ticks over things, write it all down before you go upstairs to bed. It gives your brain permission to 'let go' of information, as you won't be afraid you'll forget it.
5. Have a warm bath, with epsom salts and lavender essential oil. Epsom salts are deeply, deeply relaxing for your muscles, and once you're physically relaxed, sleep comes easier. The lavender will relax you further and you can even put a few drops on your pillow.
6. Have a relaxing herbal tea - I like Pukka herbs' Nighttime tea - delicious, and therapeutic-grade herbs. Really worthwhile. DOn't forget to cover the cup as you let it infuse!
If the above doesn't help, then it's time to seek help - herbal medicine and lifestyle changes can really help sleep.